Monday, August 17, 2009

FINALLY!!!



I have been waiting so very long to witness a California Mountain Lion in the wild, and it finally happened!! The California Mountain Lion is the undisputed king of our forests, and my dream to view one up close finally came true.

I was on a road bike ride with my friend Kestrel in the mountains of my rural Mendocino county town. We were on a gentle downhill when suddenly at about 150 feet in front of us the giant cat jumped out into the center of the road. Kestrel kept riding toward it as if there was no reason to alter our course. Maybe he was not thinking this creature in front of us can kill us both!

My keen sense and eye sight knew instantly it was the deadly California Mountain Lion I had been waiting to contact. I was like, "here we go.....here we go!". The Puma looked over, made eye contact, and then pounced up the embankment in a single leap displaying its raw power, A big roost of dirt was shot up in the air from its 3 inch claws ripping at the dirt.

Kestrel looked back at me and said "deer..huh?" I shot back, "what?' I could have slapped him for clearly missing the rare, elusive cat I have been tracking for most of my lifetime.

I feel much more complete as a human, and a true outdoors-man after such a long time wanting to fill my vision with this wonderful cat and having it finally go down for real.


No comments:

Post a Comment